Zest Media is looking for an Editorial Assistant (Digital) to research, plan, develop and implement our web content. As a digital expert your main goal will be to improve our digital presence, by producing creative content that attracts an audience and fits our brand guidelines. This role would be managing all of the B2C online channels, this includes:
- Absolutely London
- Absolutely Yorkshire
- Absolutely Sussex
- Absolutely BucksBerks
- Absolutely Herts
- Absolutely Essex
- Absolutely West Essex
- Absolutely Mama
- Absolutely Education
- Maintaining and managing each brand’s Content Calendar- ensuring there are at least 3 articles uploaded a week to the websites, at least six articles to go in the newsletter, and 3 posts on social per week. This should cover editorial content as well as original- ensuring we cover key events e.g. Christmas, world vegan day, Easter etc.
- An SEO strategy needs to be in place for each brand so working with the Marketing Manager to source keywords that will rank and planning editorial around this. You will also need to review competitor sites, look at Google Trends and take ideas from editorial meetings
- Going through the magazine and choosing appropriate content or content that can be adapted for the website, booking this into the editorial calendar and creating unique content for the site.
- Deciding on the order of content for each newsletter, as well as writing the copy and subject line for each newsletter – testing this and optimising to see what works better
- Checking with marketing if there is a banner or mpu ad space booked and if so building this into the Hubspot template
- Once the email preview is sent, proofing it and checking all links/ensuring links are live.
- Overseeing all editorial on our websites, whether written or uploaded by team members or interns and letting team members know particular angles, inclusions for articles.
- SEO should be the primary focus for the website – so have a keyword strategy and ensuring each article is optimised
- Checking every article for SEO including an appropriate/new keyword, used in the meta description, SEO title and slug, the slug is optimised, the meta description and SEO title is long enough, ensuring article has outbound and inbound links, the focus keyword is in article subheadings, the article is a certain length, the images on the page have alt text.
- Ensuring all category pages are SEO optimised
- Improving SEO efforts by providing regular advice to the editorial team in real time and in meetings.
- Writing articles across various subjects for the sites including resizing imagery for web.
- Checking every article/upload before it is put live on site including proofing/editing the copy, checking all links work and open in a new window, checking tags are correct and the article is in the correct category, checking it is scheduled for the right day and time, ensuring feature image/additional images are appropriate, the ‘style’ of the page is correct, checking the formatting of the article is correct including H1 and H2 headings, that there is an excerpt for each page.
- Writing or updating site/homepage copy when needed
- Regularly checking the website for any issues and either fixing them or sending them to dev and follow up to make sure they are fixed. Creating ad hoc pages on the site when needed e.g. meet the team, contact us pages, sitemaps
- Dealing with and organising any freelance writers for the site and editing their copy.
- Assisting with creating competition pages for the sites, including writing copy, sourcing imagery, uploading and creating a form within Hubspot to embed in the page.
- Using WordPress/Google Analytics to inform content ideas/top performing posts and pages/newsletter content
- Uploading advertorials from print or discussing online advertising possibilities for the site if appropriate.
- Guest posts/native articles – managing all the client editorial on the website. Ensuring the content is on brand, potentially rewrite some of it, ensure it has no more than 2 backlinks and they need to be relevant or no-follow links will be applied
- Working with the marketing team on the Absolutely strategy including site development and design (inc. technical fixes), improving organic search presence and backlink profile and improving social engagement.
- Running all social media channels and interacting with our readers, and building a following. Posts can be scheduled via Hubspot
- Helping with social content via the editorial team, trending hashtags, determining which general hashtags are appropriate for the brand.
- Having a benchmarking sheet to track and improve the website, social and newsletter
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to Mark Kebble at [email protected]